In a Nutshell
DataTurbine is a robust real-time streaming data engine that lets you quickly stream live data from experiments, labs, web cams and even Java enabled cell phones. It acts as a "black box" to which applications and devices send and receive data. Think of it as express delivery for your data, be it numbers, video, sound or text.
DataTurbine is a buffered middleware, not simply a publish/subscribe system. It can receive data from various sources (experiments, web cams, etc) and send data to various sinks (visualization interfaces, analysis tools, databases, etc). It has "TiVO" like functionality that lets applications pause and rewind live streaming data.
DataTurbine is open source and free. There is also an active developer and user community that continues to evolve the software and assist in application development.
Why Use It??
- Extendable: It is a free Open Source project with an extensive well documented API.
- Scalable: It uses a hierarchical design that allows a network structure that grows with the requirements of your application
- Portable: DataTurbine runs on devices ranging from phones & buoys to multicore servers.
- Dependable: Using a Ring Buffered Network Bus, it provides tunable persistent storage at key network nodes to facilitate reliable data transport
- Growing: There is also an active developer and user community that continues to evolve the software and assist in application development.